- Steel machined or forged rings from 600mm to 2500mm diameter (S235J, S355JR, ASTM36) - good mechanical resistance
- Bronze ring set (up to 1200mm diameter) – good resistance against corrosion, good friction ability, excellent electrical and thermal conductivity
- With or without helicoidal grooves
- Insulated studs (copper, bronze or steel) and spacer
- Support ring / auxiliary shaft (length up to 1300mm)
- Assembly and finish machining
- Sleeve assembly (connection from rings to rotor coils)
- Varnish paint
- Special packaging for shipment (SEI4C)
- Complete documentation
- Inspection and tests report following OEMs requirements:
- Hi-pot up to 60kV and megger tests
- Ultrasonic test
- Hardness test
- Tensile strength test
- Chemical analysis
- Insulation resistance test
- Dimension and visual inspection report
- Quality certificate
Hydro power generators slip ring solutions
Slip rings for hydro power generators
With more than 120 years experience in designing, manufacturing, and supplying excitation system components, Mersen is providing a large slip ring set offer for the hydropower market.
Essential parts of hydro generators, slip ring sets are used to transfer high current into the rotor coils through carbon brushes. Their sustainability and design are capital to perform over the years in minimizing and evacuating electrical and mechanical losses.
Whatever the generator design (bulb, vertical and horizontal), whatever the ring design (which can be for synchronous or asynchronous generators), Mersen has a long experience in slip ring assemblies for hydro generators.
We have already equipped several hundred sets for OEMs and refurbished many others in the world.
Mersen has experience for large slip rings for asynchronous generators for variable-speed pump turbine (rings 1,6mm diameter, 7100A per phase, 5500V for 380MW power).
Our engineering teams are permanently in contact with OEMs for designing ring sets for optimum performances, and also with operators for refurbishment if needed.
We are using specific software for designing the full set package product and analyse mechanical stress of material and electrical risks by numerical simulation. Our R&D centre test benches permit to test different scenarios to determine the best design linked to the application.
Our main manufacturing sites are equipped with large CNC and vertical lathe machines which provide you a guarantee of quality.
We also have the know-how and capabilities to perform expertise and cleaning of your slip ring sets in our workshop in order to increase insulation values, adjust the design (upgrade or retrofit).
We have the experience for re-engineering and adjust the existing design to improve performance and reliability.
We are also expert to rebuilt old or damaged rings for any OEMs generators designs.
Our experts operate every day in hydropower plants, and we can expertise the rings set state with specific measurement tools.